Prof. Dr.-Ing. Habil. Bogdan IONESCU
Coordinator of the Multimedia Lab, Center for Advanced Research on New Materials, Products and Innovative Processes, University Politehnica of Bucharest.
Coordinator of the Video Processing Group, The Image Processing and Analysis Lab, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, University Politehnica of Bucharest.
Research interests: multimedia/video/image processing and analysis - multimedia content-based retrieval - machine learning for multimedia - multimedia benchmarking and evaluation - multimedia applications (e.g., video surveillance, lifelog, social media, medicine).
Gesture in Human-Computer Interaction:
- 2002-2003: researcher, BQR project "Poste de Travail Interactif: le Geste", owner University of Savoie, French partners: laboratory LISTIC, ESIA, and IMSE - Faculty of Engineering from Japan.
Medical imaging and systems:
- 2012-2015: researcher, UEFISCDI research grant “SRSPIRIM - New Innovative System for Radiation Safety of Patients Investigated by Radiological Imaging Methods, based on Smart Cards and PKI Infrastructures”, owner ETTI - University Politehnica of Bucharest with partners: S.C. CertSIGN S.A. and “Carol Davila” Military Hospital, Bucharest (funds ~300k Eur);
- 2008-2011: in-charge with research at UPB, CNMP research grant “Integrated System for Real-Time Assistance During the Surgical Act Through 3D Image Reconstruction and Visual Synchronization with Voice Commands”, SIATRACH, owner University of Medicine and Pharmaceuticals “Carol Davila” from Bucharest;
- 2007-2009: researcher, research grant „Using Dog Cancer Model as Clinical Pretrial for Human Oncology”, PRECLIN, PNCDI2, owner The Oncologic Institute from Bucharest-Romania, 51-021.2/2007, UPB EL10-07-15;
- 2006-2008: researcher, CEEX research grant “Digital Radiologic Image Analysis for the Monitorization of Orthopaedic Prosthesis”, 17-06-14, owner LAPI-Uiversity Politehnica of Bucharest.
Content-Based Indexing of Multimedia Documents:
- 2007-2009: principal investigator, CNCSIS research grant "Content-Based Semantic Retrieval of Video Documents, Application to Navigation, Research and Automatic Content Abstraction", RP-2, owner LAPI, University „Politehnica” of Bucharest (funds ~140k Eur);
- 2003-2007: researcher, internal project "Caracterisation Semantique de Films d’Animation", owner University of Savoie, partners: LISTIC, CONDILLAC-ESIA, Festival International du Film d’Animation d’Annecy, CICA – Cité de l’Image en Mouvement;
- 2004-2005: researcher, CNCSIS research grant “Objective Quantification of Color Image Similarity and Quality Through the Modelisation of the Human Visual Perception System”, 17-03-04, EL10-04-07, owner LAPI - University Politehnica of Bucharest;
- 2003-2004: researcher, BQR project "IODA – Indexation Ontologique de Documents Audiovisuels", owner University of Savoie, partners: laboratory LISTIC, ESIA, CICA – Centre International du Cinéma d’Animation, PUMMA, CITIA – Cité des Techniques de l’Image, de l’Interactivité et de l’Animation.
- 2017-2020: principal investigator, SPIA-VA "Technologies and Innovative Video Systems for Person Re-Identification and Analysis of Dissimulated Behavior", owner University Politehnica of Bucharest, partners UTI Grup, Romanian Ministry of National Defence — Military Equipment and Technologies Research Agency, public beneficiary Protection and Guard Service, funded by UEFISCDI, Solutions Axis, grant 2SOL/2017 (funds ~2.2M Eur);
- 2017-2018: principal investigator, SPOTTER "Real-time IP Camera-based Intelligent Video Surveillance Security System with DROP Retrieval", owner University „Politehnica” of Bucharest, partner UTI Grup, funded by UEFISCDI, PED Axis, grant 30PED/2017 (funds ~140k Eur);
- 2013-2016: principal investigator, UEFISCDI Innovation axis, product-oriented grant, SCOUTER "Smart Video Surveillance System with Automatic Localization of Target Events", owner UTI Grup, partner LAPI, University „Politehnica” of Bucharest (funds ~1.2M Eur).
- 2016-2018: principal investigator, Erasmus+ CBHE, UMETECH "University & Media Technology for Cultural Heritage", owner University of Florence, Italy, partner University „Politehnica” of Bucharest (funds ~900k Eur).
- 2006-2008: researcher, CEEX excellences project "The Software Infrastructure for the Data Acquisition System of the ATLAS Experiment", 17-06-19, owner "Horia Hulubei" Romanian National Institute for Nuclear Physics, partners CERN-Geneve and LAPI-Bucharest.
- 2010-2013: management team - project assistant, ESF - European Structural Funds, POS-CCE RECOLAND, ID519, owner University Politehnica of Bucharest (funds ~1.2M Eur).
- 2012-2015: management team, project CAMPUS "University Politehnica of Bucharest - Center for Advanced Research on Materials, Products and Innovative Processes", ESF - European Structural Funds POS-CCE project, owner University Politehnica of Bucharest, ID956 (funds ~14M Eur);
- 2010-2013: implementing expert, project PROMISE "An Integrated Master’s Degree Programme in the Fields of Sound, Image and Multimedia Engineering", ESF - European Structural Funds POS-DRU project, owner University Politehnica of Bucharest, Master Programme, ID61178 (funds ~5M Eur);
- 2010-2013: short-term implementing expert, project ITEMS "Analysis, Modeling and Simulation Techniques for Imaging, Bioinformatics and Systems", ESF - European Structural Funds POS-DRU project, owner University Politehnica of Bucharest, Master Programme, ID61756 (funds ~5M Eur);
- 2009-2012: IT expert, project ProDOC "Competitiveness and Performance in Scientific Research through High Quality PhD Programme", ESF - European Structural Funds POS-DRU project, owner University Politehnica of Bucharest, PhD Scholarships Programme, ID61178 (funds ~5.5M Eur);
- 2008-2011: IT expert, project "Knowledge-Based Competitive Training of PhD Students in the Main Domains of Our Society", ESF - European Structural Funds POS-DRU project, owner University Politehnica of Bucharest, PhD Scholarships Programme, ID7713 (funds ~5.5M Eur);
- 2010: project manager, project WED14 "Exploratory workshop grants", owner Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, EL08-10-05, 5549/16-08-2010 (funds ~6k Eur).